PicAlbum is a web-based picture album viewer. It is simple to install and maintain, since pictures are just placed into albums/directories, and no database is required. Pictures are resized and displayed as needed, requiring no additional disk space.
Version .1 is fully functional, and has been used for several years. A demo can be seen here (click on "Picture albums of our family").
Version .2 is a development version, and planned upgrades include user logins and picture security, improved picture sorting (currently only alphabetical is supported), and several other things.
Downloading and installingPicAlbum consists of several components:
- Download and compile (type make) jhead. This program was written by Matthias Wandel, and is used to extract non-image portions of EXIF headers in jpeg files.
- Download picalbum.php (don't forget to rename it).
- Create a configuration file. A sample is here
- You'll also need a blank file like this. (I don't remember why I use this right now, but it seemed important at the time.)
- Place your pictures into sub-directories of 'albums'
Among the things I'd like to do (or am working on) with PicAlbum .2, the development version:
- user logins and security levels
- picture uploads
- picture caption and album text editing
- file manager functions (moving pictures between albums, etc)